Labels

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

PPC

Primary Peritoneal Carcinoma (please excuse me I spelled it wrong in title). Through you I hope to learn more. I created this blog so people who have or love somebody with PPC can come here and learn. Either through my experience with my  mother or whatever information I have learned and share with you. PPC is a cancer that is very similar to Ovarian Cancer and can be mistaken for it. My mother was told for months she had Ovarian cancer and kept arguing with them she had a hysterectomy when I was around six years old. She is now 64. After traveling three hours away to go to MD Anderson she was told it was PPC. Your lining of your stomach and your ovaries are made up of same cells. Easily to confuse the two.You can visit Primary Peritoneal Cancer Foundation website for more information as well. This is what I found.

The peritoneum (from the Greek peri-around + tonos-stretching) is a thin membrane that forms the lining of the abdomen. It covers all of the organs within the abdomen and also acts a conduit for blood, lymphatic vessels and nerves. It rhymes with merit-oh-knee-um.

This lining produces a lubricating fluid so the abdominal organs can slide around easily and prevent them from sticking together. If there is cancer in the peritoneum, there can also be ascites, which is an abnormal buildup of this fluid that causes bloating.

Primary Peritoneal Cancer is a rare cancer that typically affects women. The cause is unknown. Since the cells of the peritoneum are very similar to the cells found on the surface (epithelium) of the ovary, it is often treated like ovarian cancer.

At that website you can also find treatments and symptoms.

No comments:

Post a Comment